Alterra Limited began as an originator and innovator in the agroforestry and carbon markets in Australia.
The company successfully developed major carbon credit projects from conception through to sustainable companies. In 2000, Australian Agricultural Contracts Ltd (AACL) was founded to develop a large-scale share farming venture.
By 2008, AACL was achieving annual wheat, barley, and canola production of 350,000 tonnes and began researching opportunities to create carbon credits by planting native trees on lower productive agricultural land in the WA Wheatbelt.
In 2007, Carbon Conscious Ltd was founded and listed on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) in May 2008, and its first commercial carbon-sink was planted.
In 2016, the company rebranded to Alterra Limited transitioning from CCF to 1AG on the ASX. The carbon assets were demerged from the company into Carbon Conscious Investments Ltd on 1 January 2019.
- Appointed new Chairman of Board of Directors
- Appointed experienced Chief Financial Officer Mike Franklin
- Sold 913ha portion of Dambadgee Springs fro $3.1 million, retained 727ha
- Secured 300ha avocado property in Pemberton, Carpenters Project from Casotti Group
- Secured local partner in Harvey Water Scheme region, Richard Eckersley
- Appointed Regional Development Manager
- Secured $2.5 million income stream from Yandin Wind Farm
- Secured execution partnership and exclusive access rights to avocado genetics and data with French's Group
- John Poynton appointed as Chair of Advisory Board
- Launched new company growth strategy
- Appointed new Managing Director Oliver Barnes
- Carbon assets demerged into Carbon Conscious Investments Ltd (Alterra retains 15 per cent equity)
2017 - 2018
- Ongoing carbon credit projects
- Purchased 1600ha Dandaragan property Dambadgee Springs
- Extensive evaluation of sites to house a System-5 Dairy
- Exit of New Zealand Projects executed and NZ subsidiaries terminated
2014 - 2016
- Sale of New Zealand assets for NZ$3.6 million
- Transition from ASX code from CCF to 1AG
- First Australian Carbon Credit Units produced and delivered to clients in 2013
- Minor carbon sink project initiated in 2014 to diversify the company's interests
- Ongoing management of existing agroforestry projects that will produce carbon credits until 2039
2008 - 2013
- Alterra's carbon business successfully developed agroforestry projects valued at $85 million
- Secured contracts with City of Perth, BP and Origin Energy
- 21+ million eucalyptus trees planted on 18,000ha across 30 properties in the southwest agricultural regions of Western Australia
- 1 million pine trees planted on 800ha in New Zealand
- Carbon credits forward sold through to 2027
- Carbon Conscious Limited founded